• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • Home
  • Choirs
  • Member Choirs of the Serbian Singing Federation

Member Choirs of the Serbian Singing Federation

To update your choir information please complete the Information Update Form and email it to .

 

Atlanta, Georgia - Sts. Peter & Paul Serbian Orthodox Church Choir 

 

Boston, MA - Desanka Maksimovic Choir of St. Sava Boston

 

sss Branko RadichevichChicago, Illinois - S.S.S. Branko Radichevich
Cathedral Choir

Founded in 1906, this is the oldest Serbian singing society in North America. Its choir sings responses during Serbian Liturgies at the Cathedral. Every year in March, “Brankies” organize a well known “Night in Belgrade” celebration of the Serbian singing tradition, and put together a Choir Festival in November. They gladly sing at Weddings and other individual religious events.

  

fundraiser may 2016Cleveland, Ohio S.S.S. Njegosh

The Serbian Singing Society Njegos from Cleveland, Ohio is based out of St. Sava Cathedral. They sing a cappella for divine liturgy, weddings, funerals, special events, and concerts at the Cathedral. They have performed in many locations across the United States, Canada, and Serbia.

 

S.S.S. Ravanica Choir, Detroit MichiganDetroit, Michigan - S.S.S. Ravanica

  

st george duluth choirDuluth, Minnestota - St. George Serbian Singing Society

 

st. nicholas choir with patriarch irinej 2015Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Cathedral Choir

The St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Cathedral Choir came into existence in 1964 under the leadership of President Jovo Borovich and the capable directorship of Slavko Zubac. The choir had a humble beginning, singing responses to the Holy Liturgy held at the Queen’s hall, a temporary home which was donated by Mrs. Milica Chelar and Mr. Marko Chelar.  The choir has continuously sang responses to the Holy Liturgy at our now, St. Nicholas Cathedral since consecration in 1965. 



Johnstown, Pennsylvania - St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Choir

 

Joliet, Illinois - S.S.S. Mita Topalovich

 
The Mita Topalovich Choir sings for Liturgy every Sunday, and when asked will sing for pomens, funerals, and weddings throughout the year. Choir is an important ministry of the parish as we are called to serve one another with our time, talent, and treasure. We are united to one another by the desire to serve the Lord in song.
 
They rehearse on Wednesday nights at 7:30 P.M. in the Social Center 
 

kc kc kc

Kansas City, Kansas - S.S.S. St. George


st george lenexa
 

st ramon the melodist choir with patriarch irinejKitchener, Ontario, Canada - St. Roman the Melodist Serbian Orthodox Church Choir

 

Lansing, Illinois - S.S.S. Sloboda

The Serbian Singing Society Sloboda was organized in 1927, after singing for two years as the *Vjenac* Choir under Fr. Djuro Milosavljevich.   The first officers were George Lalich, MIlka Dragash Turpin, Savo Miskin , Ljuba Delich amd Bogdan Cuculjevich.

 

McKeesport, Pennsylvania - St. Sava Serbian Church Choir

The church choir is doubtless the most essential and inspirational of all church organizations. The St. Sava mixed choir, organized in 1934, by Father Popovich, has faithfully served the church for over 70 years and continues to add a deep spiritual dimension to the beauty of the liturgical services. This group of dedicated singers has demonstrated a true sense of loyalty and dedication to this vital ministry of church singing.  

 

Midland, Pennsylvania - Dr. Laza Kostich Serbian Singing Society

 

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada - St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Choir 

Founded in 1955 The Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church Choir is one of the most important organizations of the Serbian community in the greater Toronto area. This history of our choir has been written by Bora Dragasevic, our honorary lifelong President and a pillar within our choir’s community. 

THE BEGINNING

Inspired by the formation of church choirs in Windsor, Hamilton and Niagara Falls, members of the Sumadija Youth Group in Toronto took the initiative to form the Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church Choir named after the patron saint of the Toronto Church. And so, on that distant February 20, 1955 the Church choir was established and elected Kosta Joksimovic as its first president. The vice president was Mara Topolac; secretary Olga Saban; and treasurer Aleks Ristic.
 
Read More
 
After Kosta Joksimovic, choir presidents were: Bora Dragasevic and then Damjan Joksimovic. Later presidents were: Dragoslav Radosavljevic, Stevo Dobric, Micko Brajovic, Gojko Protic, Milena Protic, Bacho Kiurski, Braca Mikalacki, Milan Markovic, Mihajlo Lukic, Ljiljana Novakovic, Zivko Doncic, Vaso Kosevic, Nada Tijanic, Aleksandar Brkic, Nada Petrinjac, Bora Dragasevic , Cedna Gasic, Vasilj Petrovic and Jovan Lukic. Several choir presidents became presidents of the Church-School Congregation. On November 13, 1955, only nine months after its formation, the Saint Sava Choir began responding regularly to the Holy Liturgy in the Saint Sava Church on River Street in Toronto. That same year the choir hosted its first annual concert. Betty Labas-Kovac, the first director, successfully led the choir for almost 20 years. She was followed by: Marinko Pepa, Marija Topalovic, Zarko Perak, Bora Dragasevic, Milena Protic, Jovan Lukic, Marko Doncic, Nikola Manojlovic, and Janez Govednik.
 
In 1963 the Saint Sava Junior Choir evolved from the Church Sunday school with about 40 singers directed by Mirjana Dragasevic. The Junior Tamburica Orchestra, formed from the Junior Choir, had more than 20 musicians directed by Djordje Joksimovic and later by Bacho Kiurski. Founders of the original Oplenac Folklore Group were, in fact, the members of the Saint Sava Church Choir, and Dragoslav Radosavljevic was their choreographer for many years. The Saint Sava Church Hall on River Street, site of the annual Caravan festivities, was known as the Oplenac Pavilion named after the folklore group. 

As a member of the Serbian Singing Federation, the Saint Sava Choir participated in many SSF festivals and conventions. By November 1955, nine months after its formation, the Saint Sava Choir was actively involved in the First Serbian Singing Federation Choral Festival held in Canada in Niagara Falls. In 1975 the Saint Sava Choir hosted the 34th SSF Choral Festival with 12 participating choirs. At its inauguration into the membership of the Serbian Singing Federation the choir’s kumovi were members of the Petar Krstic Choir of Steubenville, Ohio. During the weekend of May 25 and 26, 2002 the Saint Sava Choir was the honoured guest choir at the 61st SSF Choral Festival in Schererville, Indiana. In keeping with tradition, the choir had the honour of responding to the Holy Liturgy in Schererville’s Saint George Church.

SERBIAN SINGING FEDERATION CONVENTIONS

Toronto’s Sutton Hotel was headquarters for the 1965 Serbian Singing Federation Convention with 58 delegates in attendance. The Holy Liturgy was celebrated by Bishop Stevan Lastavica assisted by the Russian Bishop Vitalije. As a resolution of this convention, the Serbian Singing Federation established the Third District Choir comprised of: the Saint George Choir (Niagara Falls), Saint Nicholas Choir (Hamilton), Kosta Manojlovic Choir (Lackawanna, NY), and the Saint Sava Choir (Toronto). This combined choir of 120 voices sang at evening Vespers under the direction of Nada Milosevic, Petar Bila, Mira Stojsavljevic and Betti Labas-Kovac. The Third District Choir sang for a full 10 years with Bora Dragasevic as its President.

At the Saint Sava Choir’s second annual concert in 1956, the first guest choir was the Njegos Choir of Cleveland. Among the guest choirs were: Filip Visnjic (Pittsburgh), Kosta Manojlovic (Lackawanna), Saint George (Niagara Falls), Stevan Mokranjac (Hamilton), Holy Trinity (Youngstown), Ravanica (Detroit), Petar Krstic (Steubenville) Stevan Sijacki (Milwaukee), Sloboda (South Chicago), Branko Radicevic (North Chicago), Saint Nicholas (Hamilton), Dr. Laza Kostic (Midland), Gracanica (Windsor), Saint George (Kansas City), as well as the men’s choirs Tsar Lazar of Pittsburgh and Kosovo of Cleveland. Prior to the Church schism of 1963, the Saint Sava Choir had 50 singers, all of whom appeared on stage that year as guests in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania. The choir traveled throughout the USA and Canada and was invited as honoured guest choir in Hamilton, Windsor, Montreal and Niagara Falls. In the late 1960s the Saint Sava Choir appeared as part of the Third District Choir at several Serbian Days in Niagara Falls.

THE RENEWED CHOIR

With the arrival of the 1990s wave of newcomers, the Saint Sava Choir welcomed many new singers. Following his arrival from Windsor in 1990 Nikola Manojlovic began directing the choir in Church. His involvement was warmly received. With his extensive knowledge of the Liturgy and religious choral singing, he has enriched the choir’s repertoire with the compositions of Stevan Mokranjac. At that time, choir concerts were directed first by Andrija Puzic and then by Janez Govednik. In 1996 Nikola Manojlovic was entrusted with full responsibility to direct the choir in Church and at concerts. The choir is proud to have 40 singers today.

 For 46 full years the Saint Sava Choir sang responses at the Saint Sava Church on River Street. Although every effort was made, it was not possible for the choir to sing at two locations at the same time – at the Serbian Centre Chapel in Mississauga and at the Saint Sava Church – thus, it was decided that the choir would become the official choir of the All Serbian Saints Serbian Orthodox Church in Mississauga. Since early 2001 the choir has been responding regularly in Mississauga. The choir was honoured to sing at the consecration of the iconostasis in the new church and at the Consecration Hierarchical Liturgy on June 15, 2002. In the year of the Consecration of the All Serbian Saints Serbian Orthodox Church, the Saint Sava Choir executive included: Jovan Lukic, president; Bora Dragasevic, first vice-president; Sanja Segan, second vice- president and Serbian secretary; Mira Rados, English secretary; Olga Payeur, treasurer; Angelina Todorovic and Draga Dragasevic, librarians; and Ljepsa Bogojevic, sergeant-at-arms. For over 50 years the Saint Sava Choir has been a pillar in the Saint Sava Church-School Congregation. May God grant that the choir continues to follow this path for many years into the future. 

 

Monroeville, Pennsylvania - St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church Choir 

 

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada - St. George Serbian Orthodox Church Choir

 

Ohio (Associate Member) - Serbian Men's Choir "Kosovo"

History of Serbian Men's Choir "Kosovo"

On a snowy night in February of 1994, eleven men gathered at the home of Dr. Stevan “Rick” Zivic in North Royalton, a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio, to discuss the forming of a regional male chorus. All were singers with local Serbian Orthodox Church choirs in the Cleveland and Akron, Ohio area and enjoyed a great love for Serbian music, both liturgical and national. 

 The idea of a regional choir seemed like a good one because of the proximity of no less than eight Serbian Orthodox Church School Communities in the Cleveland-Akron Area from which to draw male voices. Dr. Zivic felt that with the volumes of liturgical and national music available for male a cappella choruses, an effort had to be made to bring it to our Serbian people to enjoy. When it was time to select a name for the chorus, the legacy of Kosovo, a region in southern Serbia which has been the heart and cradle of Serbian Orthodoxy for over one thousand years, and which has long united and inspired the national and spiritual identity of the Serbian people, the name was chosen. 

Since 1994, we have evolved into a regional choir with over thirty members from ten Serbian Church communities and one Russian Church community. We are within the geographical boundaries of the Serbian Orthodox Church in Eastern American Diocese, The Right Reverend Bishop Mitrophan; St. Archangel Michael, Akron; St. George, North Canton; St. Sava Cathedral, Parma; St. George, Lorain; Holy Trinity, Youngstown; St. George, Hemitage, Pennsylvania. As well, churches from the former New Gracanica Metropolitinate, St. Demetrious, Akron; St. Sava, Broadview Heights; Old Holy Trinity, Youngstown; St. Elijah, Warren; and St. Mark Monastery, Sheffield, Ohio. We also have members of the Saint Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church, Mogadore, Ohio. We are members of the Serbian Orthodox Choral Association (S.O.C.A.) and the Serbian Singing Federation (S.S.F.). Our repertoire consists of Orthodox liturgical music, which is primarily sung during various church services, as well as Serbian and Slavic folk melodies. 

The Serbian” Men’'s Choir "KOSOVO" celebrates “Sabor Srpski Svetitelja” (Synaxis of Serbian Saints - September 9th) as it’s Krsna Slava. Honored Kumovi were the late Very Reverend Stavrophor Father +Slobodan Zivadinovich and Protinica +Ana Zivadinovich of Saint George Serbian Orthodox Church, North Canton, Ohio, who were ardent supporters of the choir. The late +Joe Lapsevich of Parma then became our Honored Kum for the choir. Joe was a founding member of the choir. 

Over our eighteen year history, we have given numerous performances from Canada to Florida, from Wisconsin to New York, as well as in the presence of such dignitaries as HRH Crown Prince Alexander and HRH Crown Princess Katherine of Serbia; Senator George Voinovich of Ohio; Mayor Jane Campbell of Cleveland; Serbian Orthodox Patriarch Pavle; and Metropolitan Vladimir of St. Petersburg, Russia among others. We have also performed in Serbia in 2008, at the Ohio State Fair; Kent State University for a benefit concert for the victims of the murderous attacks in Beslan, Russia, as well as several community, charity, and political events. 

The choir, not being composed of musical professionals, brings to life our desire to preserve our cultural identity with three generations of mostly American-born singers. We have been acclaimed with numerous citations and proclamations over the years; one of which was presented on Friday, September 17 2004, when the Serbian Men’'s Choir "KOSOVO” was honored by receiving the Cultural Arts Appreciation Award from the International Services Center and Cuyahoga County Commissioners “for many years of fostering, performing and preserving ethnographic song and helping to perpetuate the cultural wealth of our community.” 

Since the choir was formed, we have released five recordings. These recordings were initially funded by the generosity of our members. The wonderful response to these recordings enabled the choir to donate portions of the proceeds to many churches, organizations, and charities. To date, the choir has been very generous with its donations, which include many non-Serbian recipients as well. 

Our recordings have included the following: Secular; Liturgical Selections, 1994 Echoes of Kosovo, 1998 Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, May 2000 with participation from His Eminence Metropolitan Christopher, Midwest Diocese; and His Grace Bishop Longin, The former New Gracanica Metropolitinate. •Stare Pesme iz Novoga Kraja (Old Songs from the New Country) 2003 Celebrating 10 Years of Friendship, 2005 

We sincerely hope that you enjoy our recordings and presentations as much as we enjoy bringing them to you. Our “KOSOVO” choir exists because of our love for our music and our dedication, love and mutual respect for God and one another.

 

omahaOmaha, Nebraska - S.S.S. St. Nicholas Choir

After a recommendation from the late Bishop Madarija in the summer of 1931, the first organized choral group was established at St. Nicholas Serbian Orthodox Church in Omaha. The St. Nicholas or SOKO choir as it was previously called principally served the purpose of singing responses during the Divine Liturgy. This young choir was directed by Professor Frank Buckingham, who also directed the St. Nicholas Orchestra. The name SOKO means falcon, which is symbolic to the Serbian people as the bald eagle is to Americans.

The choir kept the title SOKO until its induction into the Serbian Singing Federation of America and Canada in 1953. This newly inducted choir of the S.S.F. was then requested either to choose the entitlement of a famous Serbian composer, or its church name. Choosing the latter, the S.S.S. St. Nicholas of Omaha, Nebraska was born. S.S.S. Sloboda of South Chicago (now Lansing, Illinois) served as honored kumovi during the induction and remains as a faithful friend to this day. The S.S.S. St. Nicholas celebrates its Slava on December 19, the Feast of St. Nicholas.

Read More

The choir was strong then and remains so now. The S.S.S. St. Nicholas has established an everlasting bond with its close neighbor, the S.S.S. St. George in Lenexa, Kansas. The two choirs annually participate in each other’s fall concerts and other special events.

Throughout the years, the S.S.S. St. Nicholas has been active within the Serbian Singing Federation. The choir was chosen as honored guest choir for the 1958 S.S.F. Festival in North Chicago. The choir hosted three S.S.F. Conventions, hosted the 60th annual S.S.F. choral festival in 2001, and has remained faithful to the St. Nicholas parish for over 75 years.

Our choir’s success can be seen through the dedication of 5-year and 50-year members alike. Through fund-raising efforts, choir trips, picnics, singing during liturgy and active participation in the S.S.F., the choir continues to maintain a strong presence.

Today the choir has about 45 members, active and social. Ann Renard and Thomas Olsen are our church directors and Thomas Olsen is our concert director. The S.S.S. St. Nicholas has established the Joseph A. Churchich Scholarship, named in honor of one of the most dedicated and talented directors to grace the choir. In addition, our youth have received $10,000 in scholarships through the Serbian Singing Federation. This dedication on the part of members young and old guarantees the success of this choir through the future!

 

holy tinity choir pittsburghPittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Cathedral Choir

The birth of Holy Trinity Cathedral Choir was one of immediate maturity. It developed from the union of two fine choirs in Pittsburgh – SSS Philip Visnich and SSS St. George. Following the merger of their parishes, St. Sava and St. George, in October 1961, the choirs requested the Serbian Singing Federation to approve their consolidation into the Holy Trinity Choir of Pittsburgh. This consolidation, the first in SSF history, was officially accepted at the 1962 SSF Convention in Joliet, Illinois.

The directors of the two choirs, Boris M. Dobrovolsky, who has achieved distinction and honor both here and in Europe for his choral techniques and interpretation, and Milan Vucich, also a skilled musician, were responsible for the success of both choirs.

Our foundation turned solid under the direction of Michael Hutnik. His exceptional talent and intense feeling for our music made us an outstanding performing group. With the departure of Hutnik in 1971, James Meena, Kenneth Gargaro, and Barbara Topich assumed directorship. Michael Hutnik returned for a brief period followed by Martha Kukich Steen until 2005 when Robert M. Topich became our teacher and director.

In its 43 years, the choir has participated in most SSF Festivals and local concerts as well as appearances on local radio and television, Pan Orthodox services in district churches, and for many years represented the Serbians at the United We Sing Christmas Festival and the Pittsburgh International Folk Festival featuring local ethnic groups.

The choir serves as a living medium in preserving the rich Serbian religious and secular musical culture and heritage. In all its endeavors, the Holy Trinity Cathedral Choir faithfully continues to sing to the glory of God and the honor of the Serbian people.

 

San Deigo, CA - St. George Serbian Singing Society

 

San Gabriel, California -St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church Choir 

 

Shererville, Indiana - S.S.S. Bishop Stefan Lastavica

 

South Bend, Indiana - S.S.S. Aleksa Shantich

 

St. Petersburg, Florida - St. Sava Church

 

Steelton, Pennsylvania - S.S.S. Josif Marinkovich

 According to various past histories, the first attempt to organize a choir in Steelton was made in 1905 through the efforts of Dmitar Kajganich and Dusan Kojicic. It was believed to be the first Serbian choir in the United States and Canada. The beginning was difficult, and it was reorganized formally in July 1906 with Djuro Milosavljevich, Vojinom Kutjevac, and Petrom Kosovanom as the driving forces. 

Mr. Milosvaljevich, who was the church canter and later ordained a priest, assumed the duties of choir director. The choir, named for Branko Radicevich, the great Serbian poet, ceased to function in 1912 for various reasons. Subsequently, it was revived but never very active. After many years, through the initiative of Stevo Bakich, Stevo Suzic, and Svetozar Nenadovich, action was taken to reactivate the choir.

Read More

In 1933, the choir was organized under the name of Serbian-American Civic and Education Club with Stevo Bakich serving as the first president. Membership was composed of active singers and their supporters. When Prohibition was repealed, the Club decided to obtain a license for dispensing malt beverages. As the interest of the non-singers slowly turned to becoming a social club, the active singing members felt that they should be a separate organization. As it was customary in those days to dramatize Serbian plays at almost all their functions, the singers organized the Serbian Social and Dramatic Club.

The choir then engaged the services of Vlado Konstantinovich of New York City to serve as its first choir director. In early 1935, Mr. Konstantinovich found it necessary to resign the position. Stephen Cordas, a life-long member of the St. Nicholas parish, became the director and continued in that capacity until his retirement in November 1988. Ms. Nadine Klipa, also a life-long member of the parish, was appointed director in December 1988.

When the Serbian Singing Federation of America was organized by Vlajko Lugonja, he visited Steelton and encouraged the choir to join the Federation. The Federation is an organization composed of all Serbian choirs in America and Canada. Upon joining the Federation, each choir received the name of a famous Serbian composer, author, or poet. In 1934, the choir joined the Federation and was given the name of Djuro Yaksich, a poet. After a few years, it selected the name of Josif Marinkovich, a composer. To this day, the choir is known as the Serbian Singing Society Josif Marinkovich.

In 1938, as a member of the Serbian Singing Federation, the choir competed in its first singing festival. For the next nine years or so, the festivals remained competitive. However, after it was confirmed that some choirs in the Federation were using talents outside their respective church choirs in order to win, the festivals ceased to be competitive and merely became a concert-type affair.

Some of the past guest appearances of the choir include Carnegie Hall in Pittsburgh, the Yugoslav Embassy in Washington, D. C. (prior to World War II), St. Sava Cathedral in New York City, and the Milwaukee Cathedral in Wisconsin. The choir also shared liturgical responses with the Russian Metropolitan Male Chorus of New York and presented a concert at the Gettysburg College Seminary in Gettysburg, PA. In addition, the choir has made reciprocating guest appearances with neighboring choirs such as Johnstown, Midland, Wilmerding, Aliquippa, Pittsburgh, and Lackawanna.

One of the great moments in choir history occurred in September 1985, during the testimonial weekend held for Stephen Cordas recognizing his 50 years as director. For this occasion, all former choir members were invited to participate in the weekend and to sing responses with the present choir during the liturgy. On September 29, 1985, history was made when the choir was professionally recorded and produced their very first tape.

In 2006, a tape of the choir's 1956 Christmas radio program was reproduced and digitally remastered to a CD format. The tape was presented to the choir by the late Bob Yanich who, as a local radio personality, arranged for and narrated this memorable program of Christmas music performed by the choir. The program, taped in our church on South Second Street, was aired on WHGB, Harrisburg, PA, on January 6, 1956 and repeated in 1957 and 1958. This very special piece of our musical history is now preserved so that it can be enjoyed for future generations.

In addition to their musical contributions, the choir has supported the church with financial contributions and by donating the baptismal font, the church bells, and the stained-glass (rosette) circular window located at the top front of the church and situated in the choir loft.

The present choir membership is comprised of about 40 very talented and dedicated singers. It is our hope that the choir will prosper for years to come and will continue the tradition of singing our beautiful liturgical and folk music. It is a privilege and an honor to belong to an organization which so faithfully serves the church.

 

petar krstich choirSteubenville, Ohio - Petar Krstich Serbian Choir

The Petar Krstich Choir was formed in 1943 as the Mirjana Singing Society of Holy Resurrection Serbian Orthodox Church in Steubenville, Ohio. Their first public concert was held in 1946. That same year, the choir took the name of the prominent Serbian composer and director, Petar Krstich.  In 1948 the Choir was received as a member of the Serbian Singing Federation by the Federation’s Executive Secretary, Vlajko Lugonja, with SSS St. Elijah of Aliquippa as their Kumovi Choir.

The Petar Krstich Choir, also known as the “PK” Choir, has been a regular participant in the annual SSF Choral Festivals and has been selected as Honored Guest Choir of the Festival four times. Over the years the Choir has sponsored four additional choirs for membership in the SSF.

Read More

The PK Choir has been honored with invitations to sing all over the United States and Canada. They have performed on radio and television and have sung for special events at the request of the Serbian Orthodox Church in the United States and Canada, the Movement of Serbian Chetniks “Ravna Gora,” the Serb National Defense of Canada, and the Serb National Federation. The Choir, however, is first and foremost a church liturgical choir, singing the responses in both Church Slavonic and in English faithfully at the Divine Liturgy and many other services in their home parish.  Most recently singing at the local nursing homes not just for the church parishioners but also for some of their own Petar Krstich choir members who can no longer attend church services and choir practices.  We never want to forget our own members who have help to make our choir what it is today. 

The Petar Krstich Choir has been led by many directors in the past starting with the first choir director, Protinca Miriana Trbovich who founded the first church choir in Steubenville.  With many directors to follow with their short stay as director of the Petar Krstich Choir.  The person with the most time served as director and has most recently retiring on May 3, 2009 was Slobodan Zelich with 49 years of service.  Mr. Zelich has expanded the repertoire of the Choir enormously through his own 100 arrangements and compositions.  

 Nino Karas is now following in the footsteps of many celebrated directors of the Choir.  It is now his turn to make a mark in history as the Petar Krstich Choir director.  Nino was appointed the choir director May3, 2009.  He has been assistant choir director for over 25 years and has shown his love for his Orthodox faith and Serbian Heritage with his dedication of time and talents.  With Nino’s love for music he is going to be a strong leader for many years to come.

Also the choir has assistant church directors who help during Divine Liturgy and Holy days services, they are John Drzayich, Robert Zori, and Mary Lynn Ricci. 

The Petar Krstich Choir has produced five recordings that showcase their favorite liturgical and folk selections. They are Songs of the Serbian People and Bells of Visoki Decani, which are LP recordings; Kosovski Bozuri and Za Krst Casni i 
Slobodu Zlatnu, which are cassette tapes, A Portrait of Orthodox Hymns andSerbian Folk Music, which is available in both cassette and CD format.  At the 2008 Festival in Aliquippa the choir has re-release a CD of Kosovski Bozuri.

 

Wisconsin, Milwaukee - S.S.S. Stevan Sijacki

History of the Stevan Sijacki Choir

The Stevan Sijacki Choir was founded during the Great Depression at the “Old Dome” on 3rd and National. In 1936, the former AleksaShantich Choir was reorganized and renamed to honor the Serbian composer Stevan Sijacki.  Under the direction of Father George Petrovich, church director Michael Petrovich, and first president Leo Marich, the choir became members of the Serbian Singing Federation (SSF) in 1937, sponsored by our kumovi choir Branko Radichevich of Chicago, Illinois.

Following Father George Petrovich’s departure in 1943, Steve Jursek became director. During World War II, the choir became an all-female chorus directed by Gladys Borkovich Monafo from 1942 to 1945. The 1950’s gradually brought a return of men to the Stevan Sijacki ranks, which in turn led to an expansion of the choral activities. The choir began learning secular folk music, in addition to the primary focus of liturgical responses. The Sijacki’s hosted the first of many SSF Choral Festivals in 1952, and also participated in the consecration of our beautiful new cathedral on Oklahoma Avenue in 1958.

 

gracanica choir featureWindsor, Ontario, Canada - S.S.S. Gracanica

 

Youngstown, Ohio - Holy Trinity Serbian Church Choir